18 May 2010

Night at the Museum

Last Saturday night I was so excited to attend la notte dei musei, ("night of the museums") when most of the museums in Rome were open until 2am and entry was free! Though I regret to say that nothing actually came to life, the museums were amazing to see at night, and everything seemed more glamorous and mysterious after dark.

My friends and I went to Galleria Spada and Castel Sant'Angelo; we wanted to focus on a couple of places that were really different.

Galleria Spada is in a lovely palazzo, and the rooms are crammed with paintings and sculptures. In the garden, I was blown away by Francesco Borromini's Prospettiva, a corridor which recedes to create a forced prospective, appearing much longer than it actually is. I'm a real fan of Borromini's architectural wit. (photo courtesy of il Sito Ufficiale Galleria Spada)

By the time we got to Castel Sant'Angelo, it was raining, but the views were well worth the weather. That's San Pietro off to the right.



Bellissima. Also, notice how high the Tevere is! The lower banks are completely submerged after all the rain we've been getting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kimi,
    Lydi and I are sitting here and she has hooked me up to you, finally. I wrote something the very first blog but you probably didn't get it. Anyway I'm loving your blog , your views, musings and drawings. Loverly, loverly!
    Love, Mutti

    ReplyDelete