02 June 2010

The Road to Contemporary Art

This Saturday evening, I had a fantastic time at Rome's massive contemporary art fair, held at Macro Future, in an old slaughter-house in Testaccio. I took so many photos! Here are some of my favorites.

A street-artist's take on Guernica, overlooking the parking lot.

This installation was really cool, we were invited to smash these ceramic heads in any way we wanted.

Photographs by Nobuyoshi Araki, a Japanese artist known for his compulsive style and erotic themes.

These two kids were exploring this installation so intensely.




Self-portrait.


Some photographs by Shirin Neshat, one of my favorite contemporary Iranian-American artists.



Below is a detail of a work by Ghada Amer, another favorite from the Middle East.


I don't remember the artist, but this photo was so funny! It's Columbus, at Columbus Circle. Note the reactions of the passersby.

Above: not art. Aperitivi. After the first three hours of strolling, we need to refuel with some Prosecco.




Rome's new contemporary art center, Maxxi, opened over the weekend. I really liked their ad campaign (above.)

It was SO refreshing to be immersed in contemporary art for five hours. The fair was surprisingly laid-back compared to its American counterparts, and I really enjoyed myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment