02 July 2011

Cimetière du Père-Lachaise


One of the most famous parts of the 20e Arrondissement is the Cimetière du Père-Lachaise, a huge and romantic home to the graves of many bygone celebrities, among others, including Oscar Wilde, Chopin, Ingres, Jim Morrison… the list goes on.


It is only about a 20-minute walk from where I'd been staying, so I ventured up and had a wonderful time wandering about.

It was breathtakingly beautiful, like a gothic sort of garden, very tranquil and with incredible views. I’d like to return and explore more; my time was sort of limited. Still, I managed to happen upon Edith Piaf while actually searching for Paul Eluard.



I also visited Max Ernst, one of my absolute favorite artists. It was really special to find him and pay my respects in the Columbarium. For me, it was a really auspicious start to the trip.



No comments:

Post a Comment