13 July 2010

catching up

It is so hot here in Venice, I'm sitting in the kitchen with the fan pointed directly at me and dreaming of cool breezes. So I thought I'd post some pictures of my short trip to London a couple of weeks ago, to remind myself of temperate climates. I was lucky enough to spend each day in London with friends who all seemed to be there by some wonderful coincidence, and I had a really great time.

These first sumptuous shots are of our tea at Maison Berteaux, a quirky and adorable cafe on Greek Street. My friend and I shared the fruit tart and massive almond croissant and a big pot of Earl Grey tea.



My friend and I were strolling around after a late lunch and realized that England had won a World Cup game against Slovenia (or Slovakia? I forget). All hell was breaking loose in Trafalgar Square - these guys had climbed IN the fountain and were cheering and going crazy. Though England didn't make it much further in the competition, these celebrations were quite a sight!


I saw Macbeth at the Globe Theatre! Such a dream come true, fulfilled after years of high school Shakespeare plays.



My friend works at this gorgeous little perfume shop, Penhaligon's. I spent an afternoon with her and ended up getting a cute little set of four scents. The Queen, Crown Prince, Princess Di and Winston Churchill all use/used Penhaligon's perfumes.


Hyde Park. The weather was incredible during my week in London.


At the Brick Lane Sunday market (curry + vintage clothing + art + hipsters), we stumbled upon a huge photography degree show. These were a couple of my favorites.



The Enchanted Palace exhibition at Kensington Palace was incredible. It was like entering into an impossibly chic Lewis Carrol/Tim Burton sort of world, only the stories were real!


fish and chips, and a good old burger. pub food is definitely the way to go in London, especially after months of only eating Italian! My friend and I had a great time hanging out in different pubs and sipping warm British ale.


I had a really relaxing visit in London. It was a great vacation from Italy, and felt more like home. I had an incredible time, even with a raging case of pink-eye, hence the lack of photos of yours truly (thanks the pharmacist at Boots who sorted me out!).

And thanks to my London and non-London friends for the time spent in great company :)

1 comment: